Exercise #86 : "Euphemisms"
- garbage collector ---> "sanitation engineer"
- tax collection ---> Internal Revenue Service
- innocents killed / injured ---> "collateral damage"
Usually euphemisms are made up of latinate words; they tend to sound pompously obscure, as indeed, they are intended to obscure something unpleasant, low-status, or offensive. Have fun with this one! Try concocting euphemisms for the following:
- ~candy for breakfast
- ~a defective tricycle
- ~a gas guzzler
- ~a ridiculously big bouffant hairdo
- ~painted the wrong color
- ~a stolen election / ballot stuffing
- ~excessive redtape
- ~a cover-up of heinous corruption
- ~the dog peed on the carpet
- ~civil war
- ~a failing grade
- ~tax evasion
- ~a size too small
- ~this building could not withstand a minor tremor
- ~the living room is the size of a mop closet
I'll come back tomorrow (or maybe later on today) to let you all know the results. Lord, give me strength.